If you no longer have a garbage cart:
- You may store your garbage in an alternative container until new carts are delivered
- All residents must put their garbage bags on the curb beginning at 7 a.m. the day of your trash pickup
- New carts will be delivered starting the week of July 23 and will continue until all are delivered
- The city is providing one new cart per household, additional carts may be purchased for $75 each
- Trash and compost is being collected weekly
- Your new garbage cart: 96-gallon carts that are medium gray, with the City of Inkster logo stamped on both sides
- Your new recycling cart: 65-gallon recycling carts that are blue with the City of Inkster logo stamped on both sides
What stays the same?
- Your collection day
- If a holiday falls on a weekday, your scheduled service will be delayed by one day and regular collection will resume the following week
Call GFL at 844-464-3587 for questions about this new program.
Regular Rubbish Pickup: (Bag or bundle all trash, no loose items)
- Construction Material - must be bagged or bundled and 50 pounds or less
- Household Furniture (except move outs). Large move outs will require a special pickup
- Household Appliances - doors off refrigerators and freezers
- Carpet/Padding - must be tied in 4-foot rolls and no more than 50 pounds each
- Sinks/Laundry Tubs/Toilets
- Firewood - must be bundled and tied in 4-foot lengths no more than 50 pounds
- Animal Droppings - must be placed in double plastic bags and set out with trash
- Latex paint, if completely dried out, may be placed at the curb for collection on your regular trash day. Remember to remove the lid and put the lid in your trash container. To dry out latex paint, open the can in a well-ventilated area until it solidifies. Kitty litter can be used to absorb the latex paint. When the paint is completely hardened put it in your trash container.
Recycling will be collected every week on your normal trash collection day. The new recycling carts are 65-gallon recycling carts that are blue with the City of Inkster logo stamped on both sides.
Place these recyclables in the blue recycle cart:
- Paper (newspaper, magazines/catalogs, junk mail, office paper phone books)
- Cartons (juice boxes, paper milk cartons, paperboard boxes)
- Metal (empty aluminum cans, steel tin cans, pots and pans)
- Glass (clear and colored glass bottles, glass jars)
- Plastic (milk jugs, orange juice containers, water bottles, ketchup bottles)
Before you place recyclables in the cart:
- Clean garden plastics
- Flatten cardboard boxes
- Empty and rinse containers
- Leave caps on plastic bottles
- OK to leave staples, clips, labels, stamps, spiral bindings and metal fasteners on paper products
DO NOT Place these items in the cart:
- Plastic bags
- Wire hangers
- Window panes, mirrors, ceramics and Pyrex dishware
- Organic material and food waste
- Electronic waste (batteries, cell phones, computers)
- Paint, pesticides, oil and cleaners
- Waxed cardboard
- Needles or syringes
- Hazardous waste
Yard Waste / Brush
Weekly yard waste collection: Beginning first Monday of April of each year, yard waste will be collected in 32-35-gallon plastic or metal containers marked “yard waste” or yard waste paper bags.
Yard waste is grass clippings, weeds, leaves, shrub and brush trimmings (remove dirt from roots). Do not mix fruit, vegetables, or animal waste with your yard waste. Plastic bags are not allowed for yard waste. Yard waste may be placed loose in your own 20 – 32-gallon containers with a "Yard Waste Sticker" on the lid.
- Leaves and Grass – In-yard waste paper bags or 32-gallon cans with stickers (up to 50 pounds)
- Brush – Less than 3 inches in diameter, 4 feet long, tied with heavy cord or rope, no more than 50 pounds, and in bundles
- Shrubs – Less than 50 pounds Remove root balls and bundle same as brush
- Compost – Weight limits not more than 50 pounds
Please Note: Unbundled or improperly bundled brush requires a Special Pickup. For more information call 844-464-3587.
For information on tree removal call 844-464-3587.
A resident hiring a private contractor for tree trimming/removal must require that contractor to remove any brush, logs, or stumps.
Trees, Wood, Shrubs & Brush
- Bend nails over, cut and securely tie into bundles not to exceed 3 inches in diameter
- No longer than 4 feet
- No heavier than 50 pounds
- No longer than 4 feet
- No heavier than 50 pounds
- Tied and bundled
The trash contractors do not pick up any hazardous substances including the following Items:
- Automobile parts
- Building debris
- Demolished structures
- Explosive materials
- Hot ashes
- Masonry dirt
- Waste oil
- Weed killers
Vacant lots are the responsibility of the owner. If vacant lots are not maintained, the owner may receive a citation and the lot will be cut/cleaned at the owner’s expense. Complaints should be directed to Code Enforcement at 313-563-2820, or Department of Public Service at 313-563-9774.
Heavy household items (Stoves, refrigerators, freezers, furniture and other heavy items) will be picked up on your regular pick-up day. Please call 844-464-3587 at least 24 hours ahead so that the proper moving equipment will be available.
Rubbish collection is delayed one day for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving.
Call Woodland Meadows Landfill. (Hannan/Van Born) 734-326-0993 for items not accepted by the City.