Black History Month 2021 at the Leanna Hicks Library and the Inkster Community
will be royal. We will be hosting, among other things, the:
Be a King or a Queen – Ancient African Kings and Queens
Black History Month Challenge
Who can participate:
All residents of Inkster, all ages welcome!
The challenge will run from February 1 - February 21, 2021. The winner will be announced
How does it work:
1) Click here to register to participate.
2) Complete the Kings and Queens scavenger hunt prepared by library staff. Collaboration is welcomed! Download the scavenger hunt with the QR code below, check the website for the link, or call us at 313-563-2822 for other convenient pick-up options.
3) Participants will identify and do research on a royal named in the scavenger hunt or any African royalty. Research can be done via the internet, books, e-books, articles from or sourced through the Leanna Hicks Library, or even from oral historians– anything that can be referenced.
4) Participants will then create a masterpiece of choice based on their selected royal showcasing the royal in his or her time period. The creation can be anything from the following submission categories:
● Artwork- a mask, sculpture, painting, drawing of the royal, a diorama, costumes designed and/or modeled
● Writings - poetry, an essay, a story, play – long or short
● Music and Dance - a song, a dance form that time
● Video- using TikTok, Reels, YouTube, your phone – any medium that we can upload to our website.
● Any other creative outlet that features your chosen King or Queen!
All completed scavenger hunt sheets and all creations or links to creations along with name should be submitted no later than midnight February 21, 2021, as follows:
● Upload to the Dropbox link by scanning the QR code below to access the link
● Email to the library at email@example.com with the subject Be a King or Queen Submission
● Physically drop off at the library no later than February 21, 2021.
All entries will be showcased through the l library's website. To be featured on our Instagram tag us @ LeannaHicksPublicLibrary and use the hashtag #LHPLBlackHistoryMonth2021
In order to be considered for a prize, participants must complete the scavenger hunt
and submit their creative pieces. Staff at the library will select a first, second, and third-place winner. Grand prizes will be awarded to these top three winners.
Don’t forget your name, and a phone number or email address so we can contact you if
you’re a Grand Prize Winner!
Good Luck and Have Fun!
Scan with your phone’s camera to download the scavenger hunt!!